T4 2.4L Diesel - leaky Diesel pump (English)

• <center>http://road.meatball.net/gallery/1991T4</center>

Sorry, but my German isn't good enough to post to this board yet so I'll try my luck in English:

I just got a 1991 2.4L Diesel non-turbo T4 Caravelle. It has a leaky Diesel pump that dribbles Diesel from the input shaft just under the pulley (http://road.meatball.net/galle…1T4/dieselpump_pulleyside ). It apears as if the small gasket seal around the shaft is broken or worn and if this were replaced, maybe it would be ok, but of course it looks like the whole pump must be rebuilt to change the seal.

Since I am in Germany, I wanted to ask if there is a good place to get repair work done to the Diesel pumps. I was quoted a price of about €750 for a replacement yesterday and would like to check all options before spending so much on this old vehicle. Also, is it possible to buy the pumps already rebuilt? If so, where?

Thanks, and sorry for my English.

T4 Diesel pump pics

• Hi,

- Mark all settings of the setup bolds.
    - remove the 'foerdermenge' bold (on the side near cutoff valve).
    - mark the position of the 'gas handle'.
    - remove the gas handle (watch the spring)
    - Open four allen screws on top of pump.
    - carefully lift the cover and simultaniesly push the shaft of gas handle
    - on the side normaly facing to the engine there is a small spring. Remove it carefully
    - remove cover.
    - remove shaft bearing (brass) from the cover
    - replace bearing (available at VW or Bosch Dienst).
    - replace seal on shaft
    - refit pump (mind the springs and marked settings

Work in carefully and in clean enviroment.

Alternativ you can hand the pump to a 'Boschdienst' (should not exceed 200 Euro), where they will replace the same parts and the shaft.

I hope, you can understand my english.

Tomy

• Hey Tomy-

Aside from bold=bolt, your english is quite good!

Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Jason