A few Q's on my T4 Caravelle

• Grüss gott, alle !
    Sorry for not speaking Deutsch, but that's the way it is and therefor I adress you in english instead :

-First off, my car is a '1991 T4 Caravelle, I guess one could say "first edition" T4. 2.4diesel and the Skandinavian "Bus no. 1" without the rear two-seater seat, so I now have 8 seats in the car.

I am rather pleased with it, very nice to drive and few mishaps on the way.

However there are some points I wonder about :

1) The Pollen Season is hard this year, and I struggle with my airways - I know there is pollenfilter on the T4's from '97 on, but does anbyone know (for a fact) if this pollenfilter can be fitted on my earlystage T4 ??
    -If so, I shall look into that part :)

2) LPG is found on some gasstations here in Norwegen, but most of them around Oslo. Despite this, I wonder about getting fitted an LPG-kit on my T4, but sadly the mechanichs here haven't even heard of LPG & diesel working together, so I therefor ignore such "professionals" and ask the question out on the continent instead - what prices, in Euro, can I hope for to get an LPG-kit installed, fullproof checked and done by the spec's and regulations ?
    What size tank could be fitted ?

3) In case the LPG-idea turns sour due to high prices or other matters, what about having fitted spare fuel tanks under the car ? There is plenty of space, and having, say 200 litres of max fuelload could be an alternative - all I would have to do is drive south to the continent and fuel up, and head home ;-D
    (Prices are about NOK 11,- for diesel)

okay. That's the questions I have for now, I asked some during the winter but have to look them up to see if anyone answered them back then - have to wait till after work.

(Shame I never took Deutsch in school)

All the best, and have a safe and comfy T4-day out there !

Yngve S,
    Oslo

• Hallo,
    there is a "Pollenfilter" for sale at your VW dealer that fits your car.
    The one from 97 would not fit without altering it. The original one is fast and easy to fit in.

2. sorry I have not heard of LPG in a diesel engine???????????

maybe I am wrong but as far as I know it would not work.

Have a nice summer up there

Michael

• Hey!

My answer for your first question is the same, "würfelbulli" just gave you: theres an additional pollenfilter, which fits in the '91.
    in question about LPG and Dieselengines I think I have to dissapoint you:
    the gasoline in an Dieselengine ignites because of high pressure inside the cylinders. For an LPG-Engine, you need an petrolengine, which uses spark plugs (electrical ignition) to ignite the fuel.
    LPG doesn't ignite by pressure, but by spark plug

greetings to norway

marc

• Hej Yngve,

it is possible to give a Diesel car LPG too.
    but i don't have realised it for my car.

sitting in the south west of Germany (Vorderpfalz) and having 20°C and sunny dry weather today

Fridi

look in to the link:

Diesel with LPG

alla dann - Fridi 1.9D(1X) 12/91 LR, LKW (03/1994 bis 07/2010) von 20 500 bis 610 000 2.5D(ACV-ABT)05/00 LR, PKW, Syncro (seit 10/2009) von 238 000 bis jetzt 655 000 Verbrauch zur Zeit: 7,6 l / 100 km :) insgesamt 1 103 000 km auf T4 8)

• aber leider nicht zugelassen und daher nur im Prototypenstadium

"At this moment you are not allowed to install and use any diesel LPG system in most of the European countries.
    Therefore we can't offer this system. "

Gruß
    MiKo
    ----------------------------------------

Caravelle 11/98 AHY+, 550940 km;
    (17.06.1999 bis 01.03.2018 - 6833 Tage)

mittlerweile 74 Monate "auf Entzug" - der Caddy ist seit 185Tkm eine brauchbare "Ersatzdroge"

• Hej marc,

aber immerhin....

alla dann Fridi

alla dann - Fridi 1.9D(1X) 12/91 LR, LKW (03/1994 bis 07/2010) von 20 500 bis 610 000 2.5D(ACV-ABT)05/00 LR, PKW, Syncro (seit 10/2009) von 238 000 bis jetzt 655 000 Verbrauch zur Zeit: 7,6 l / 100 km :) insgesamt 1 103 000 km auf T4 8)

• >aber leider nicht zugelassen und daher nur im Prototypenstadium
    >"At this moment you are not allowed to install and use any diesel LPG system in most of the European countries.
    >Therefore we can't offer this system. "
    ---

Rats ! This means I still have to roll around on diesel only :)

Well, thanks for the answer anyways !

Today I got attacked by a brick wall, so I have to replace my left taillight after the incident - a mere setback, I shall be on the road tomorrow ;-D

Later !

All the best,
    Yngve S
    Oslo

• Hey Yngve,

did you think about driving with salad oil? Your motor is running really good with it. I don't know the price of salad oil in Norge, but here it is much cheaper than diesel.

But if you think about this option, you should first get some further information, some of us in this forum can give you.

And perhaps you can use the search engine to find "Peter aus Oslo". Maybe he can give you also some tips.

Many regards,
    Peer